12/19/22

Christmas 2022 New Reality

  Very happy to report that I am now unofficially retired.  That means something different for everyone.  For me, I no longer feel the pressure to go to work that I've felt so long.  To stay home and redeem the senior security pension has changed everything.  I may not make the kind of money to really get out of debt but at the same time there is no way I could make any more money by working any more than I have been at 3 days a week.  Now, I am working one day a week just to keep my foot in the door as long as I want to.  I'm considered flex at my job.  That has the benefit of working once every 6 weeks if I want to.  I might just do that for the beginning of 2023.  Originally I said I would work 1 day a week and that has been working for me but now, after having so much time off in the cold, winter months, I find myself happier and happier that I don't have to go to work.  

With my husband working full time in a good paying job where he is happy, and gets 10% off of reno supplies. We just bought several discounted end-of-the-year sales with an additional 10% off from his store: two black/grey countertops, a kitchen sink that is incredible, a few pot lights and a great deal on a utility sink and cabinet for the basement.  Since he is no longer doing renovations for anyone else, our home is now the target of long, awaited renovations.  We have lived in this house for 12 years after having moved in on Dec 10th just before Christmas 2010.  He started working for a retail store in Simcoe that turned out to be quite disappointing and that was the least of the challenges we would confront financially.  I worked for several years as a waitress at local restaurants.  It was hard work but ensure I would not be just sitting behind a desk either.  I learned how much it hurt to be on my feet at my age and with my weight.  It was a necessity and I had a chance to discover the people of Norfolk County.  

When finances of part-time employment was no longer meeting our needs, I finally agreed to work full time if I could get it or part-time at a really good job.  That is when surrendering did work out for the best.  I let go of my dream to stay home at our new location in country home we bought on an acreage.  It was not long before we knew something had to change.  My husband hated working for that specific retailer for peanuts compared to where we moved from.  That is when he decided to start his own renovation business and the rest is history.  After 10 years in the self-employment renovation business, we were struggling, our marriage was falling apart and we were getting deeper into debt.  Turning to God for eye-opening insightfulness and mercy, our prayers were answered when he got his first job coming out of self-employment. It wasn't pretty, the hours were strange and the first person he went to work for after all these years turned out to be the worst boss ever.  She was mean and hatefully spewed expletives and demeaned her employees. The turn over was very high and yet, my husband just kept working, almost quitting but determined to prevail.  We continued to pray for a job that he could earn good pay and the benefits would be worth it.   Soon an opportunity opened up at the right timing as if it was meant for him.  He was hired.  He loves it, he loves the employees and he loves what he does.  

I'm happier because, my days are mostly at home being the wife and keeper of the house as I wanted to do but never had time for before.  I actually don't mind cooking and cleaning as much if it means I get to stay home.  Eventually I will declutter this entire house and freely work on MY projects I have put off for years, namely writing the book God wants me to write.  

Thank you, God, for answering our prayers and bringing us through to the next level of learning about you, about us and about ourselves.   Amen\

Dec 19, 2022    

No comments: